Le mer 08/10/2003 à 10:16, Guillaume Cottenceau a écrit :
> Vedran Ljubovic <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>

> And I'm sure many other persons use rpmdrake2 and are very happy
> with it.

Good for you ...

> >  - There should be a new application named "Add/Remove
> > Programs"
>
> I fail to see how merging two functionalities would end up with
> an easier tool, whereas this suggestion keeps poping up. I think
> people design interfaces they'd like to use, and since they are
> not newbies, we end up with that suggestion.

Maybe but this remind them ... windows add/remove component.
the problem is that when you want to se if a package is installed or
available, first you try to search in "Remove Package" to see if the
prog/lib is installed. Then you go to "install Package" to se if the
prog/lib is available.

> > In no way am I suggesting that RpmDrake is to be
> > replaced. It should be kept as a tool for
> > professionals and sysadmins that want to have a
> > complete control of their system. However, newbie
> > users should be directed to this new Add/Remove
> > Programs tool.
> >
> >  - This application should feature _programs_, not
> > _packages_
> > This is not just about terminology. What I mean is:
> > list only packages that are programs and hide
> > everything else. A definition of a program is "a
> > package that has one or more menu entries". E.g. if
> > it's not in the menus, it's not a program and
> > therefore shouldn't be listed.
> > "So what do we do with those other packages", you ask?
>
> I feel that is a good proposal. I don't know the best way to
> integrate this suggestion in rpmdrake though. Maybe another
> "sorting method". Maybe the default one (although the default one
> is already "mandrake choices" e.g. a short selected list of
> packages that are sensible to newbies).

Sorting like menu is a good start ... as people tend to install package
and don't know where to launch the prog and then you haveto give them
the path to the menu.
But standard mdk menu need to be improved. The "Applications" part is
not ... obvious. It should be "Others", don't know but not
"Applications" ...

> >    - system components - should be dealt with by
> > corresponding system configuration tools (i.e. X
> > servers should be (un)installed with XFDrake, CUPS and
> > PDQ with PrinterDrake, SANE with ScannerDrake etc.)
>
> Already the case..

Not for uninstallation ...

> Current rpmdrake architecture can't make use of different media
> for a single package-version-release :/.

This should be show explicitly. ot with just Source : ...
Maybe a different color, maybe a warning when installaing from others
sources ( are you surer you want to install from  .... ? Yes No )

---
L'amour et la haine sont des parents consanguins. Proverbe Allemand