Hi

jay> On Wednesday 08 October 2003 5:51 am, John Allen honored me with this
jay> communique:

>> > Funny, I could say the same for anything *earlier* than 4363 (adding
>> > filesystem corruption to the mix).
>> > Maybe it's just nvidia releasing crap in *every* version.
>>
>> Ah well, YMMV as they say.
>>
>> I have found that with my geForce4 MX440's only 4191 is stable.
>>
>> > Bye

jay> Still running 4191 myself: GeForce MX 420. Can't get anything later to compile
jay> properly, and 4191 seems to work just fine.

jay> I hate those darn ".run" files, anyway.

Grrr,  NVidia cards are just making my life miserable.  I have almost
the same hardware that one of the Bug reporters and things work well
for me.

I need to try to found a pattern somewher.  Until now it appears that:

- drivers 4363 works for a lot of people.
- drivers 4496 fails for several people (they work for me).

Can people please mail me the output of lspcidrake -v and telling me
what versions work/don't work for you?

I have found that machines fail with PIII, PIV and athlons, both with
NVidia IGP and normal cards.

Only pattern found until now are that the following cards fail:

- GForce MX
- Gforce2 MX
- IGP (Gforce4 MX)
- standalone GForce4 MX

At least the:
- GForce3 Ti500 work (guess what is the card that I have)

Current theory is that:

New driver with cards older than GForce3 fail.  GForce4 MX if I
remember correctly is just a GForce2 core "on steroids".

Later, Juan "learning too much about NVidia graphics cards".

are different -- Larry McVoy