So far every NVIDIA driver release has worked fine for me, including playing
Neverwinter Nights and Unreal Tournament 2003. No X Lockups, no reboots, no
console screwups (with or without framebuffer).

Currently runing 4496 with GeForce2 MX 400 on a Athlon 1.4 Thunderbird and
Linux version 2.4.22-10mdk on latest cooker.  This Machine is usually
continuously running for 5 days and shut down for the weekends.

Card:NVIDIA GeForce2 DDR (generic): nVidia Corporation|NV11 Geforce2 MX/MX 400
[DISPLAY_VGA] (vendor:10de device:0110 subv:10b0 subd:0001)

Serge

P.S. The only console screwups I get with Mandrake 9.1/9.2/cooker is running
it under VMWare (all 4.0.x versions) after quitting X. Both with the Mandrake
included VMWare driver or the native application one.