On Mon, Jun 26, 2000 at 04:43:58PM -0500, bobby dowling wrote:

> Anyone know how to set monitor power options with XFree86 4.0, say if I
> wanted to have it go standby in so many minutes, then off a little later ...

This should be in your KDE setup or GNOME setup...  I don't think
XFree deals with this at all.  Ie. in GNOME, go to your control
center and select screensaver.  The power management options are
there.

> Any opinions on whether or not leaving the monitor on all of the time is
> good or bad?

Energy consumption being the big one, if you have a screen saver it's
no big deal to leave the monitor on.  Since I'm in an upstairs room
with no air conditioning, leaving monitors on tends to heat up the
room after a while, so I have a screensaver kick in after 5 mins, and
then 5 mins after that it turns the monitor off.

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED], OpenPGP key available on www.keyserver.net
Freezer Burn BBS:  telnet://bbs.freezer-burn.org . ICQ: 54924721