On Tue, 27 Jun 2000, bobby dowling wrote:

> Turn off inetd?  I need to be able to ftp and telnet into my machine ...I
> also like to use webmin on occasion.
>
> Will disabling inetd affect this?

Yes, but 1.) no one really uses telnet anymore, ssh is the way to go
unless you can think of a good reason not to, and ssh is standalone. 2.) I
like proftpd myself, and there's other standalone ftp daemons. But you're
right all 3 things would be inaccesable. I've offered alternatives for 2
out of the 3. I was thinking in terms of security more than memory
footprint. But you get both if you can find a way to live without inetd.