Nicolas Pomarede <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Hello to all,
>
> I'm trying to do a network install of 9.2. I'm using a PCMIA adapter from
> xircom.
>
> Doing an install using the network.img or pcmia.img disk, I get an error
> while trying to load the required module xirc2ps_cs.o (which is not

Ouch.

> present on either disk).

I need to disagree.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] root]# mount -o loop /mnt/distrib/9.2/i586/images/pcmcia.img
/mnt/disk
[EMAIL PROTECTED] root]# zcat /mnt/disk/pcmcia.rdz > /tmp/k
[EMAIL PROTECTED] root]# umount /mnt/disk
[EMAIL PROTECTED] root]# mount -o loop /tmp/k /mnt/disk
[EMAIL PROTECTED] root]# ~gc/cvs/gi/mdk-stage1/mar/mar -l
/mnt/disk/modules/modules.mar | grep xirc
        xirc2ps_cs.o
        xircom_cb.o
        xircom_tulip_cb.o

Was it an error because of something else, maybe?

pcmcia-cs author changed his detection way, this broke for a few
people as we had some trouble with Buchan ~ 1.5 month ago.

> I tried the expert install, with an additional disk (as described in the
> README in the images directory for SCSI drivers) ; I formatted an ext2fs
> disk and copied the unzipped xirc2ps_cs.o file on it.
> Unfortunately, when I try to load the xirc2ps_cs.o when prompted for, it
> failed and I get lots of undefined symbol in ALT+F3 console (printk,
> strstr).

You need to use xirc2ps_cs.o from the BOOT kernel, right, not
stock kernel, of course.

But, there are CS controller and cards initialization issues that
make it fail when you try to insmod card modules by hand - at
least it happened to me, don't know if it's
typical/common/anything.

> I guess the problem might be caused by the fact that I extracted the
> xirc2ps_cs.o module from kernel-2.4.22.10mdk-1-1mdk.i586.rpm and not from
> kernel-BOOT-2.4.22.10mdk-1-1mdk.i586.rpm, because the xircom module is not

Yes.

> present in the later one.

Been on drugs lately? :)

[EMAIL PROTECTED] root]# rpm -qpl
/mnt/distrib/9.2/i586/Mandrake/RPMS/kernel-BOOT-2.4.22.10mdk-1-1mdk.i586.rpm | grep
xirc2ps
/lib/modules/2.4.22-10mdkBOOT/kernel/drivers/net/pcmcia/xirc2ps_cs.o.gz

Or I've just switched to a parallel universe that is :/.

> I tried to copy ds.o and pcmi_core.o on the disk, but it didn't resolve
> the problem.

At least, dependencies are mandatory, yes. But still init of
controller is needed I think.

--
Guillaume Cottenceau - http://people.mandrakesoft.com/~gc/