Le mer 22/10/2003 à 14:55, [EMAIL PROTECTED] a écrit :
> On 22 Oct 2003, Teletchéa Stéphane wrote:
>
> > Le mer 22/10/2003 à 13:59, Guillaume Cottenceau a écrit :
> > > Hi,
> > >

> > Be carefull !
> > You misread my post : i'm saying UNTIL 9.1, i need to desactivate DMA
> > for my LG cdrom/burner  model HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-8240B.
> >
> > I didn't test it already with 9.2 ...
> Yes, but even until 9.1, you didn't fry the drive did you?

No, you're correct.

> DMA is not supported on the CRD-8400B, it is in the kernel nodma blacklist
> (drive_list_entry drive_blacklist). IIRC during the first 2.4.x kernels it
> was not in the list, and people got dma errors, but no drive damage at
> all. I think you can only turn on dma on this drive with hdparm -d1 -X34
> /dev/hd?

I did a fresh install for 8.1 and 9.0 (disk failure for the second
-backups are my friends-) and DMA was activated on my drive, causing it
to dma_errors 'DriveSeek Error ... blabla'.

I had to manually disable it by adding a line in /etc/sysconfig/hardhdc
telling explicitly DMA to be turned off.

Are you sure it is blacklisted ?

> I assume this drive is still in the blacklist, although since klama is
> down i cannot check 9.2 kernel source at the moment.

Wrong for 8.1, 8.2, 9.0 and 9.1, why would it be like this for 9.2 ?

> Also, it might be worthwhile to check if these guys did do a firmware
> upgrade recently (or in any case what firmware version they use, perhaps
> a flash can even revive the broken drive).

I didn't.

Stef