> Hello,
>
> I don't know if any one else saw this article but it seemed very good to
> me.
>
> http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-boot.html
>
> A chap at IBM Hursley, in the UK, has come up with a way to make Linux
> boot  faster using make.

And there have been other efforts too, such as serel
(http://www.fast-boot.org IIRC). However, the speed advances aren't that
exceptional, we could get at least 50% of the speed increase by not
running depmod on every boot (which most of these methods avoid anyway
....).

> I have not got around to trying it out.
> However, given the  speed that XP now starts up compared to most Linux
> setups I would think  anything to get the boot times down must be good.
> I responded to this e-mail  asking why everything needs to be started at
> boot time. For example it takes  a huge amount of time to get CUPS up
> and running. Why not defer this until  the first print job is required ?

Well, in any network, CUPS would need to be running to allow the printers
to be visible to other machines (whether via CUPS or Samba). Also, how do
you start the service up for the user when they want to print?

BTW, XP starts most services (look for spoolss.exe in the task manager
before you print something) automatically, but I notice that (at least
under Windows 2000), some things are only started up when a user logs in,
and Windows 2000 Server takes an age to "Start network services" (although
this could be due to some excessive time spent on DNS lookups for it's
domain if the internet is not available ;-)).

> It appears that extension of his idea could  be to work out which
> services really need to be started at boot time and  which might be
> deferred.

First step is to not run depmod on every boot, which will save 10-15
seconds for everyone with minimal changes.

Regards,
Buchan