On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 11:20, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > Trying to compile a kernel with gcc-2.96 using:
> Well, this is not supported AFAIK. The default compiler is gcc-3.x, and
> that is what is supported for compiling kernels.

Oh, OK.  There were no probs with this in 9.1 even tho those kernels were by
default compiled with gcc-3.x.

> > Do I need to report this as a bug to MandrakeSoft Bugzilla?
> Please don't, this isn't our bug I think ...

OK, not Mandrake.  Perhaps kernel.org? Or maybe just ignore it altogether?

> > I need this kernel compiled with gcc-2.96 for my satellite internet
> > connection card driver.
> Get your hardware vendor to provide an update binary object for your
> kernel module, or use an ancient kernel.

According to the developer who ported the driver to linux, Telemann
(hardware manufacturer) did not make a full source release of their driver
and unfortunately there is a binary component (independent of kernel
interface) that cannot be compiled.  He has approached Telemann about
getting this library recompiled or releasing the source code, but they have
not yet responded.

So it looks like I'll have to go back to an ancient kernel.  Hopefully I can
use the 9.1 kernel-source-2.4.21-0.25mdk.i586.rpm with 9.2.

Thanks very much for your advice Buchan.

Sharrea
--
Help Microsoft stamp out piracy - give Linux to a friend today