On Saturday 25 October 2003 07:09 pm, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > On Saturday 25 October 2003 06:14 pm, illogic-al wrote:
> >> up until this morning i was happily at msec 4. i changed one of the
> >> default settings and now i can't su to root from anywhere. Either in X
> >> or at console. Help. I don't wanna reinstall. I have 9.2 btw
> >
> > but once again man prevails over machine!
> > or man prevails over sh ... uh crappy that is, software in this case.
> > Somehow msec decided to change the suid bit on /bin/su
>
> Well, it didn't decide that by itself, since su does not feature in the
> default permissions:
well i certainly didn't tell it to. i had no bloody idea what suid bit was or
how to set em till today.

> $ grep su /usr/share/msec/perm.?
> /usr/share/msec/perm.0:/var/lock/subsys                         root.root
>     755
> /usr/share/msec/perm.1:/var/lock/subsys                         root.root
>     755
> /usr/share/msec/perm.2:/var/lock/subsys                         root.root
>     755
> /usr/share/msec/perm.3:/var/lock/subsys                         root.root
>     755
> /usr/share/msec/perm.4:/var/lock/subsys                         root.adm
>     750
> /usr/share/msec/perm.5:/var/lock/subsys                         root.root
>     700
that's exactly what mine says

> > i followed the instructions here after some judicious googling:
> >5/msg00025.html and now i'm back in business.
> > Lesson for the day, DO NOT allow msec to run cron jobs
>
> I think you're going to have to look a bit further for that lesson.
*I* don't have to look a bit further. this did it for me.
> All my
> servers run msec 4 with some small customisations,
me too. one of the small customizations is not having an hourly cron job run.
ever again.

--
The kings of Peru were the Incas,
Who were known far and wide as great drincas.