On Sunday 26 October 2003 16:59, Giuseppe Ghibò wrote:
> Speaking of GIMP, anyone knows how to do a correction of a
> backlight exposed photo snapshot with GIMP (or cinepaint)?

I've done a bunch of these.  Best results I've come up with have
resulted from taking an outline of the shadowed subjects with
the "intelligent scissors", feathering by a couple pixels,
inverting the selection and darkening the overbright part, then
selecting none and gamma correcting the whole photo.  Usually
after that the saturation needs some tweaking and probably the
colors need a little correcting, and most digital cameras seem
to introduce diginoise into the overly darkened areas that's
visible when you brighten them.

This is pretty off-topic so please contact me offlist if you need
more tips.

Rob