On Friday 31 October 2003 13:46, Svetoslav Slavtchev wrote:
[...]
> > > actually on second look it's a bit later,
> > > the last line is :
> > > "Freeing unused kernel memory:272k freed"
[...]
> > Do you mean that using the same setup test9 stops logging to console and
> > previous kernels not?
>
> i haven't tried for a long time
>
> it's probably a user error :(
> if i stop syslogd serial console comes back,
> so it's either missconfiguration,
> or some problem between your initscripts package mdk9.1 sysklogd

actually rc.sysinit resets console log level to 3 (ERR) by default which means
that only critical errors are logged. Check /etc/sysconfig/init. So there is
nothing strange you do not see anything after that point. The reason it works
after syslog is stopped should be that _something_ resets console log level
to higher value. Quick strace on syslog/klogd do not show anything but I am
not expert here. Nor do I use syslog - I use syslog-ng.

Just try dmesg -n7 and check if you now get output.

It would be nice to have different levels for each console OTOH it may not
worth the troubles.

-andrey