On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 20:25, Bruno Prior wrote:
> For some reason, this guy says the Vesa driver doesn't work for him.
> He hasn't provided enough info to be able to figure out what's going
> on, and probably won't now. Could very likely be user error (I
> suspect it may be configuration of his monitor rather than his card
> that is failing), but we will probably never know now

One thing which has seriously peeved me is that some of the newer cards
come with a single VESA graphic mode, 800x600xI-think-24 at 60Hz, and
if this doesn't suit your display (e.g. you have an inflexible 1024x768
flatscreen), tough bikkies.

There are no combinations which work, you *must* have a native driver of
some sort. Hurrah for the nv driver, for example, and hurrah for the
crew who did/are doing a GPLed driver for their nForce LAN card.

On similar lines, I polled XGI yesterday WRT data for building an Open
driver for their new video cards. If they can bring themselves to do
that, they'll get more of a leg-up in the market than they anticipated.
Each manufacturer that does this is one we can use as a wedge against
the others to worry them into keeping up with the pack.

Cheers; Leon