Hello,

        Well, my cooker laptop decided to keel over due to a bad case of code-rot.
Seems something I updated gave it indigestion... sooo.. I backed up
everything important, and bombed the thing and did a cooker clean install.
The install went pretty smoothly.   There are a couple things that are still
buggy, though.

        Seems that both the current kernel and the boot kernel have problems setting
the video mode (ie, vga=791 in my case).  Booting the vgahi image didn't
help.  Oddly enough, if I go either into Windows first, or into the BIOS
setup screen, it then will set the mode correctly.  Maybe an initialization
problem?

        I installed the latest kernel, as well as the latest tmb kernel.  The tmb one
will boot, the stock one won't.. i'll e-mail a specific error message
tomorrow when I'm more awake and can write it down.

        Odd thing, with the stock KDE installed, which includes Konqueror I would
think, there's no entry in the menu for browse the web or for launching
Konqueror as a browser.  Is this normal?

        Sound worked OK until I loaded my backup desktop files, then it started with
the soundserver error boxes about not being able to set real-time priority
and running soundwrapper.  Wonder what I broke?

        If installing KDE, and installing on a machine with a sound card, shouldn't
kmix install by default?  Default install has no workable mixer, had to find
and individually select the package separately.

        More info in the AM... time for bed.

        V.