<joke> and you are going to back port initramfs to 2.4 or even 2.2? </joke>
IMHO cramfs is the way to go, as it could be easily integrated in 2.4 too,
and 2.4 also needs to get smaler

1337954 Aug 25 17:47 /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.22-1mdk
1206674 Nov 17 02:38 /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.0-t9.ruby.6mdk

<2.6> modular vesafb,fbcon,mice, and lot more stuff  + -Os </2.6>

svetljo

--
GMX Weihnachts-Special: Seychellen-Traumreise zu gewinnen!

Rentier entlaufen. Finden Sie Rudolph! Als Belohnung winken tolle
Preise. http://www.gmx.net/de/cgi/special/