Hello Guillaume,
    O.k., I've printed the userguide that you pointed me to
(http://dri.sourceforge.net/DRIuserguide.html) and as I read through, I'm
starting to see a few problems already.

1)  It says that for the Matrox G400 card I should be using kernel 2.3.51
with AGP support; I'm currently using 2.2.17-0.4mdk, is that sufficiently
back-ported?

2)  Quake 3 for Linux has been out now for quite some time, how was it done
on XFree 3.3.x?  Not that this is very important, I'm interested in doing
whatever it takes to get this working in 4.0 (it's faster!); I'm just trying
to figure out why I've had such a problem getting this working.

I'll continue to study this and hopefully get something going within the
next couple days.

Thanks for you help, Mike