> For me, it's a hardware bug (hd or cable; eg, for
> udma66, lots of read error
> were due to bad cables ...)

No way!

The 2.2.17-*mdk rpms have IDE fucked up. On my machine
it hangs (lock keys don't switch lights) when it goes
to check the partition tables, with an UDMA time-out.

2.2.16-9mdk works fine.

Several other people have also complained.

I have a gateway PPro200 G6 + Promise Ultra66 + 3x WD
drives + 1x Maxtor. It chokes on one of the 3 WD.

All the drives are on the Promise card, the mobo IDE
only has a CDROM and a CDRW.

According to /proc/ide/* the IDE chipsets on the
machine are "Intel PII3X" for the mobo, and "PDC20262"
for the Promise card.

=====