mandrake.com;
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: Re: [Cooker] RPM_OPT_FLAGS + BenchMark
>

> Thierry Vignaud wrote:
>

> > Chmouel Boudjnah <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> optimizations ? i
> > >
> > > titi / guiseppe ?
> >
> > it doesn't really break ANSI spec, it just make some assumptions ...
> > (like non negative number for sqrt, ...)

are you sure??

taken from info gcc:

[...]

     optimizations performed when this option is not used.

`-ffast-math'
     This option allows GCC to violate some ANSI or IEEE rules and/or
     specifications in the interest of optimizing code for speed.  For
     example, it allows the compiler to assume arguments to the `sqrt'
     function are non-negative numbers and that no floating-point values
     are NaNs.

     This option should never be turned on by any `-O' option since it
     can result in incorrect output for programs which depend on an
     exact

[...]

i'm not saying that you shold not use -ffast-math , but only use it if there
is some significant optimization ...(mabye mesa, gimp ...)

i like Giuseppe's idea where you have CFLAGS="$RPM_OPT_FLAGS -ffast-math" or
CXXFLAGS="$RPM_OPT_FLAGS -ffast-math".

seems fair?

> Well, IMHO certainly is not a good idea to turn -ffast-math
> optimization on mathematical
> packages who generally don't make those assumptions (and the error
> code is important).
>
> IMHO it has sense to turn it on "on demand" using
> "CFLAGS="$RPM_OPT_FLAGS -ffast-math", on packages we have benchmarked a
> significative speed up (a 0.1% gain is not significative!), such as
> package doing floating point intensive (e.g. Mesa, gimp, etc.), and after
> we have tested no coredumps on it. For the rest of the packages
> speed up is
> totally negligible.

yep, exactly, turn it off!! and now!!

> code fail
> > >
> > > we are back to -O3, -O2 was only there for gcc2.97.
> >
> > s/2.97/2.96/
>
> BTW, I think we should also do some benchmark. I found SSBENCH here

        http://nastol.astro.lu.se/~stefans/bench.html

and several here:

        http://devlinux.com/projects/reiserfs/bens.html

Who can do RPMS of SSBENCH?

BTW, is it true that on K7 -malign* and -m*boundary = 5 gives significative
increase of performance? Who can test on K7?

sorry not me, maybe send an [ANNOUNCE] message to cooker to look for guinea
pigs ? ;)

maybe we can look for some "benchmarking" c/c++ code (lots of those in
slashdot past stories) and do a test ...compile it under gcc and see what
happens, put some stress on the processor ...

Chmouel, can you turn the -ffast-math off now?

ther'es also one thing aobut RPM_OPT_FLAGS that iv'e mentioned to gc some
time before ...c++ code s0mtimes does not like -fno-exceptions (as c++ code
sometimes _need_ fexceptions) and will barf at one. what should we do about
that ?

one last thing: doesn't rpm now require bzip >= 1.0 to build, or am i wrong
about that ?

i once tried compiling 3.0.4 with bzip2 1pre, and it barfed...