You should put the word "sparc" somewhere in your subject line.  That way it's
got a better chance of being read by the right people.  A lot of mail goes
through here and I usually only read the ones that my filter picks as having
that in the subject.  Otherwise there's just too many and most of them are
related to a different Cooker version (the next x86 release).
All the same, I have found that the sparc related problems still get responses
most times and the port continues to improve - no thanks to Sun.  I have stuck
with it and am glad that I have.  Solaris 7 is no longer on the machine and the
CD's sit in their box.

On Sun, 16 Jul 2000, you wrote:
> Faber Fedor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > Mandrake 7.0 Ultra
> > Sparc CD from Cheap Bytes.  I was able to figure out how to boot from the
> > CD (I am *really* new to Sun machines) thanks to the UltraLinux FAQ.

> > The RedHat install went well enough (it usually does), but I can't get the
> > Mandrake to install.  The installation program starts, asks me where I'm
> > installing from (CD-ROM) and then says it can't find a SCSI CD-ROM.  When I
> > suggest another type (IDE), it says it can't find that, either.  So now
> > what?

I had the same problem with my Ultra 1 Creator and LM 7.0b for the Ultrasparc.
I have since downloaded 7.1b and that problem was fixed - it found the CDROM
just fine and happily went through the install with few problems.  Keep in mind
that this is beta software so you have to expect the occasional glitch.

> i would suggest if you have a problem with the sparc Mandrake install,
> please send a report of your problem on [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> where the sparc team can help you.
>
> > It's my understanding that the difference between a Sparc and an Ultra
> > Sparc is the former is a 32 bit CPU and the latter a 64 bit CPU, right?
> > I'd like to see what a 64 bit OS looks/feels like.
> > Oh, and can anyone tell me how to invoke the 64 bit Solaris OS?  Whenever I
> > boot, it keeps telling me that it's loading the 32 bit version.

You may have to reprogram your eprom to get the 64 bit thing happening.  That's
what I had to do and it involved moving a jumper, running the program, and then
resetting the jumper.  The jumper was for write protection so if it's done once
then that should be it for the problem.  If your machine has the 64 bit
capability already then as I recall I had to change a setting in a file
somewhere to get the OS to go to 64 bit.

See the "Solaris 7 Sun Hardware Platform Guide"

http://docs.sun.com:80/ab2/coll.28.15/SPARCHW/@Ab2TocView?Ab2Lang=C&Ab2Enc=iso-8859-1

Hope this helps
Tom Korte