Hi again fellow cookers,

I am trying to install Helium onto an HP Vectra XU 6/200 series server,
equipped with dual Pentium Pro-200/256k cache chips. Both of the
processors are Stepping 9, but the main processor is a model SL22V, and
the secondary is model SL22T.

When the system boots, it looks like all is going well, until it hits the
synchronization part for the two procs. Without trying to hand type what's
on the screen, I can basically say that it looks like the kernel
calibrates the first processor fine, detects the second processor and
calibrates it fine, is able to add together the two BogoMIPS (like we
care), and then craps out on this setting the IO-APIC IRQ line.

I've had a large amount of experience with computers, but not really with
multiproc ones. What the heck is IO-APIC? I'm thinking something like
Automatic InterProcessor Communication?

Anyway, here are the last few lines before the kernel locks:

enabling symmetric IO mode... ...done.
ENABLING IO-APIC IRQs
...changing IO-APIC physical APIC ID to 16
Kernel anic: could not set ID
in swapper task - not syncing

It goes to note, obviously, that I can easily boot into the uniproc
version of the multiproc kernel, which is 2.2.15-mdk4secure, if it
requires a recompilation.

Please let me know if this is a kernel problem, a BIOS thing maybe, or the
fact that the two procs have to be both the same stepping and model? Maybe
I have to flip them to get the "newer" SL22V in the secondary position?

Thanks!

Scott Balmos ([EMAIL PROTECTED])