On Tue, Aug 01, 2000 at 10:44:40AM -0400, Mark Weaver wrote:

> That's wonderful if you happen to be running the new version of LILO,
> however the new version of LILO isn't shipping with any of the latest
> distros of either RedHat, or Mandrake. Instead it looks as if they're
> offering Grub instead. I personally prefer LILO. That's just what I'm
> used to and if it ain't broken I can't see any reason to fix it.
>
> Actually it isn't all  that big a deal to carve out a small chunk for
> /boot. In fact, it seems to help the system boot faster. At least that's
> been my experience with doing it that way. And I've done it both ways.
>
> ACtually I'm surprised that they have'nt offered the updated version of
> LILO on the Mandrake "update" utility listing with the rest of the
> system updates. That might be worth adding to the list for people to
> take a look at.

The reason is lilo as shipped with 7.1 isn't broken.  That's what
MandrakeUpdate is for... fixing broken stuff that was shipped with
the initial version 6.x or 7.x and security fixes.

For something like the new lilo, grab it from cooker and -Uvh.

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED], OpenPGP key available on www.keyserver.net
Freezer Burn BBS:  telnet://bbs.freezer-burn.org . ICQ: 54924721

Current Linux uptime: 2 days 21 hours 5 minutes.