Hello

Please bear with me It may seem like a long diatribe but Im trying to give as
much info as i can in order that youll know what ive done.

Im trying out making rpms. Ive followed the instructions about setting up the
.rpmmacros and .rpmrc files and I have the RPM directory structure in my home
directory. I have for my first try tried gnome-libs-1.2.3.tar.gz. I have
mandrake 7.1 and installed it as the developer option. I have successfully
compiled tarballs without problems including the said gnome-libs file ie
./configure,make etc.

For my first attempt I typed rpm -tb gnome-libs-1.2.3.tar.gz and this appeared
to put the spec file in the spec directory etc but I think it complained about
there not being a gnome-libs-1.2.3.tar.bz2 file in the sources directory.
So i created one ie bzme gnome-libs-1.2.3.tar.gz to give the .bz2 file and put
it in the source directory.

To start building i typed rpm -ba --sign gnome-libs.spec.
This started to build or compile or whatever it was doing but then shortly
stopped and complained that it didnt know the host.

I looked in the spec file and found one line mentioning a host but it said
'alpha-redhat-linux-gnu' so i changed this to 'i586-redhat-linux-gnu' and then
tried building again this time it passed the point it stopped last time so i
asummed i did something right but then shortly after it passed this point it
stopped again giving the message

checking host system type... i586-redhat-linux-gnu
checking target system type... i586-redhat-linux-gnu
checking build system type... i586-redhat-linux-gnu
checking for working aclocal... found
checking for working autoconf... found
checking for working automake... found
checking for working autoheader... found
checking for working makeinfo... found
checking for gcc... gcc
checking whether the C compiler (gcc -O3 -fomit-frame-pointer -fno-exceptions
-fno-rtti -pipe -s -mpentium -mcpu=pentium -march=pentium -ffast-math
-fexpensive-optimizations -malign-loops=2 -malign-jumps=2 -malign-functions=2
-mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 ) works... no
configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler cannot create
executables.
Bad exit status from /root/RPM/tmp/rpm-tmp.42389 (%build)

This is the crunch of the matter as i dont understand what might be wrong as
Ive been compiling before without problem and i assumme i have everything
installed for development.

Help!!!

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks S