Hi!

Since weeks I have problems with compiling programs with the
-static option of gcc. The most simple example is ldconfig.
I have used gdb to find the crash line:

gdb ldconfig
GNU gdb 5.0
This GDB was configured as "i586-mandrake-linux"...
(gdb) r
Starting program: /usr/src/RPM/BUILD/ldconfig-1999-02-21/ldconfig

0x806130f in set_progname (argc=1, argv=0xbffff49c, envp=0x0)
    at ../sysdeps/i386/i486/bits/string.h:1332
1332      __asm__ __volatile__
(gdb) c
Continuing.

Program terminated with signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
The program no longer exists.

This is an inline function (__strrchr_c) which seems to consist of
several assembler instructions (don't know that much of assembler).

I have just installed the binary version from cooker, but this
did not solve the crashing problem. The sysdeps directory is
straight from the glibc source.

So I cannot build binaries for eog, rpm, ldconfig only to name
a view which I'd prefer on my K6-2-450 processor. I'm using a
vanilla 2.2.16 kernel with K6 processor.
Btw: Omitting all the compiler optimation flags did not help
either.
What could be the reason for this segfault ?

Best regards,

Reinhard Katzmann
--
E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Current Projects: Linux-Installation Mandrake 7.1 (99% finished)
                  Improvements of Driver for Tevion Tablet
                  Java-DB and -Interface for Pincity (95 % finished)
GnuPG Public Key available on request.

PGP signature