I tried exactly what you said to do Gary...but it still does not know
where to find the associations....

 Everything works in Gnome....tried that for the first time ever
 tonight...and it all works great...

 It's getting as bad as windows now with Mandrake....instead of
 fixing it....everyone just waits till next release and reinstalls...

 What a bitch!

 I want to fix what's broken...but it shouldn't have happened in the
first place...

 I installed a new app and it blew the entire preinstalled menu system
all to hell including file associations....
 then when the guru's on the cooker told me to run update-menus
 it did what it was supposed to do and rebuilt the menus back
 but didn't rebuild the file associations.....

 Thanks anyways...