I think that I have stumbled across the problem with the UltraSparc port losing
time when turned off.

It would seem that the shutdown sequence is imcomplete on my Ultra Creator 1,
as it only gets as far as the eprom prompt when shutting down and then gives me
a message that says "program terminated" and that's it.  If I wnat the machine
to power down I have to switch it off on the back and I think that this powers
off everything - including the internal clock.

The other day I got called away while the machine was shutting down so I didn't
get a chance to throw the switch.  When I came back several hours later, the OS
had shut down but the machine was still running.  I rebooted and the time was
correct!  I know that Solaris & RH didn't require me to shut the power off
manually and they didn't have a problem with keeping time so I suspect that
there's a bug in the shutdown code and that the machine is capable of going into
some kind of power off state that keeps the clock running.

Any advice on how to proceed?

Also, I haven't been seeing any sparc postings lately - or maybe it's just my
mail filter is acting up (but I did test it).

Tom Korte