Sorry if this is the wrong list for this, but I have come to beg the Linux
Mandrake community to create and bundle with the next version of Linux
Mandrake rpms for a mathematical program called Maxima.  This program has
two major requirements - gcl and the maxima program itself - which are not
available except as an exceptionally old binary and source, and also a
graphical front end to some of the functionality called Symaxx.  The front
end is at http://rz-home.de/~cnentwig/symaxx.html, and Maxima and gcl are at
http://www.ma.utexas.edu/users/wfs/maxima.html.  The reason I feel this
software is worth including is that it represents the only GPL software
which can handle major symbolic calculations.  Octave is excellent for
numerical stuff, but when it comes to Mathematica style symbolic
calculations Maxima seems to be THE free program right now.  I have seen a
number of people inquiring about rpms for this software, because the compile
is a bit difficult, but apparently there are none.  I believe it would be a
good complement to Octave in the Mandrake distribution.  I am not
technically qualified to do this myself :-( so I thought I would put it up
to the mandrake people and see if anyone thought it was worthwhile to get it
to compile under Mandrake and make an RPM. Has anyone considered this?
Again, sorry if this is the wrong place to ask.

Best,
C Y