Bhavin Parikh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I have "PnP Support" disabled in my machine BIOS. I also tried with "PnP
> Support" enabled option.
>
> No good news. Same error I am getting.

Taken from FAQ:

There are a number of problems that can cause this.  The actual message means
that the kernel is trying to mount /dev/sda1, the first SCSI device, as your
root.  However, the cause can be tricky to find.

First of all, the kernel has a default root it attempts to mount if no other
value is overridden by the boot process.  This is probably 08:01 for your
kernel, which is what it falls back to when nothing else works.  The real
problem lies elsewhere.

Normally, using an IDE controller would mean the root would be something like
/dev/hda5 (The 5th partition or first non-primary partition on the
primary-master IDE device).  However, since you're using Lnx4Win, the device
should be /dev/loop7, or 07:07 in numeric format.  This is because Lnx4win uses
a loopback device to allow it to work with an ext2 filesystem contained within
a single large file on the Windows filesystem.

This device should be set up by a boot process contained within what's called
the "initial ramdisk".  This virtual filesystem is contained within a file,
often called initrd.gz, or something similar.  The file should be located in
c:\lnx4win.  If it is not, that would be your first problem.

When you boot, look at the earlier kernel messages, and see if it mentiones
finding the "initial ram disk".  If it doesn't, then the initial ramdisk file
may be missing or corrupted.

If the initial ramdisk is being loaded, then it may be having trouble mounting
the Windows filesystem.  If it's succeeding at that, then it may be having
trouble creating or mounting the loopback filesystem on the Windows filesystem.

A correct Lnx4win boot proedure is:
Partition check:
hda: hda1
hdb: hdb1
autodecting RAID arrays
autorun...
..autorun Done.
VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem)

(Note the RAMDISK: line after the partition check and before the autodetecting
RAID arrays).  If that line is missing, it didn't even know there was a ramdisk.

Greets,
   Alex.

--
MandrakeSoft            http://www.mandrakesoft.com/