On Wed, 06 Sep 2000, Anthony Cheng wrote:
> I have a hard disk of 20GB attached to promise UDMA 66 card. The first 12GB
> are used by win 98. I am able to install 7.2beta in the remaining space.
> However, 7.2beta hangs on the partition check.
>
> Do anyone know how to solve it??
>
> Best Regards,
> Anthony

Read /usr/share/doc/HOWTO/HTML/en/mini/Ultra-DMA.html.  What you need to
do is to see what IO addresses Mandrake writes in lilo.conf for your
second tertiary and quaternary disks and add two to each.

It works fine on my box with kernel 2.2.17-0.24mdk.  You ought to be
able to install OK - the hang on partition check occurs when you reboot,
so be sure to make a boot floppy with rescue when you install, then fix
/etc/lilo.conf from rescue.

Good luck.

 Peter Ruskin          <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 Wrexham, UK          KDE - the professionals' choice
Title: The Linux Ultra-DMA Mini-Howto
Next Previous Contents

The Linux Ultra-DMA Mini-Howto

Brion Vibber, [EMAIL PROTECTED]

v3.0, 9 November 1999

This document is intended to explain how to use Ultra-DMA aka Ultra-ATA aka Ultra33 and Ultra66 hard drives and interfaces with Linux. The most recent version of this mini-Howto can be obtained in HTML format at http://pobox.com/~brion/linux/Ultra-DMA.html.

1. Introduction

2. What is Ultra-DMA and why do I want it?

3. Using your UDMA hard drive with an EIDE interface

4. Using your hard drives with a UDMA interface

5. Offboard PCI UDMA interfaces

6. Onboard UDMA interfaces

7. Unified IDE Patches

8. Activating and Deactivating UDMA

9. Problems

10. If you have some information about UDMA stuff that's not in this mini-howto...

Next Previous Contents