Chmouel Boudjnah wrote:

> and isn't the dhcp job to set the gateway ?
Not only... It also sets the netmask. Why then would DHCP be for? A
server just feeding worstation numbers would be a stupid nonsense.
Specially for mobile stuff (ex. notebooks). A change on general
architecture of the network and you have tens or even hundreds of
workstations going crazy. Just think that you need, for some reason, to
set a new router as main...

On our nets even DNS servers addresses are served through DHCP. Most of
the info we give the worksations stops here: ip number + netmask +
gateway + DNS server. Some other DHCP server/clients go even further
than this.

> --
> MandrakeSoft Inc                     http://www.chmouel.org
> Paris, France                                     --Chmouel

Ektanoor