I had problems with startx -- :1

The solution for me was to remove $display from the last line of startx
so it now reads:
xinit $clientargs -- $serverargs

The way it was meant it was doing xinit foo -- :0 :1 bar ! Which is very
bad news.

I have posted this to cooker before, and to the XFree86 site, but no
fixes so far.

Hope this fixes your situation.

Owen