On Mon, 21 Aug 2000, Guillaume Cottenceau wrote:
> Peter Ruskin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > Hi cookers,
> >
> > I compiled ALSA with " --with-isapnp=yes --with-sequencer=yes
> > --with-oss=yes --with-cards=sbawe" for my AWE64 card, but I keep getting
> > messages "Can't open /dev/sequencer - no such file".
> >
> > [11:45 peter@penguin:/usr/src/drivers/alsa-driver-0.5.7]$ ls -la /dev/sequencer
> > crw-------    1 peter    sys       14,   1 May  4 02:40 /dev/sequencer
>

> strace the binary to see what's happening.
>
> > I went for the AWE64 mainly because it would be recognised anywhere, but
> > perhaps it is not fully supported by ALSA.  KMid is one program that
> > complains - there are many others.
> >
> > Anyone have any clues?
>
> OSS works flawlessly with awe64.
I still haven't got midi working with alsa.  I chmodded /dev/sequencer
660, chown root.audio. KDE's kmidi works OK - that uses /dev/dsp (which I
also have to periodically chmod/chown as above).  Now KMid has stopped
complaining about /dev/sequencer but is still silent.  Its Options | Midi
Setup only offers MIDI 0-0 - External Midi Port, whereas it should show
the AWE internal midi option as it used to.
I tried
[04:56 peter@penguin:~]$ playmidi /win/e/Media/midi/Jazz/7steps2h.mid
Playmidi 2.4 Copyright (C) 1994-1997 Nathan I. Laredo, AWE32 by Takashi Iwai
This is free software with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
For details please see the file COPYING.
playmidi: No playback device found.
I wanted to also try xplaymidi, but get "error in loading shared libraries:
libXaw.so.7: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory"
There are a few other apps that require libXaw.so.*, but I can't find it
on cooker

 Peter Ruskin          <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 Wrexham, UK          KDE - the professionals' choice