FYI...

I'm using gnome (7.2 beta 2)

gmix keeps claiming that

        No mixer found.
        Make sure you have sound support compiled into the kernel.

Note that (once the permissions are set) kmix has no problem.

Also, xmms works jusr fine with the oss Driver but fails when I try
to use the eSound Output Plugin:

        Please check that:
        1. You have the correct output plugin selected
        2. No other program is blocking the soundcard
        3. Your soundcard is configured properly

The sound card seems to be fine: (from dmesg)

        es1370: version v0.31 time 19:04:01 Sep  6 2000
        es1370: found adapter at io 0xa400 irq 10
        es1370: features: joystick off, line in, mic impedance 0

Esd starts at the command line and outputs the little whistle.

If you try to use the control center to

        Enable sound server startup

it'll update your config file (and esd starts at next loggin)
but the control center itself keeps showing the option as off,
no matter what.

Hope this is useful and do let me know if this is the wrong place.

--
Jean Meloche
[EMAIL PROTECTED]