I can confirm this same problem.  When I installed beta 3 on each of my 2
computers and selected cable modem, the installer gives the message:

"No ethernet network adapter is currently configured on your system.   Please
run the hardware configuration tool."

But as soon as I run linuxconf, it finds the device and sets up the drivers.  I
still had to do "ifup eth0" to kick dhcp after linuxconf finished the setup and
exited.

The 2 nics I use are PCI NE2000 clone (rtl8129?) and a 3COM 3c900 (3c95x).

Also, another issue during the install.  After the network install fails, it
goes to the Time Zone setup.  Once this is complete is returns to the network
setup, fails again after repeating the inputs for the same nic, then again goes
into the Time Zone setup.  This repeats endlessly untill I choose 'Disable
network".  Then it skips over the printer setup!

Cheers,
Rob