Pixel wrote:

> Pierre Fortin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > Allen Bolderoff wrote:
> > >
> > > The problem is that not even a win98 boot disk will work. win 98 just does not
> > > boot at all.
> >
> > Had this problem too when I upgraded to LM7.0 which wrote lilo into /dev/hda1
> > instead of /dev/hda...  (Yes, I reported it back then...)
>
> and if that is really the pb, tell me!!

Thanks for noticing...  [leaving out comments on the lack of a bug reporting
system]  my particular problem occured when I changed the default DOS partition
name to "W98" and lilo may have used that as the trigger for writing to hda1
instead of hda...   Just speculation now.  At any rate, I get quite passionate
about install/upgrade issues; see below for some of my rants on this issue...
I will trash a distro based on the install, without ever getting to see what it
can do.  My feeling is that the attention paid to install/upgrade issues is
proportional to the attention paid to small, but usually important (to the
customer), details throughout.

Retired and wanting to waste the least amount of time in my quest to help family
and friends transition to Linux,
Pierre

Posted on expert list Sept 14th:

[At the time, I did not know where the boot.* files really came from...]

> This raises a question...  (and why I'm inputting at the top :)
>
> Has anyone else clobbered their boot blocks and used one of the /boot/boot.*
> files to recover it...?
>
> The reason I ask is that while I haven't booted the MacroShaft drive, I run
> some
> non-M$ W9x programs via wine.  One day, I was installing LM7.0 which on its own
> decided to write lilo onto hda1 instead of hda (reported it and trashed LM7.0
> CD
> as a result).  Since there was nothing to lose in trying to recover the boot
> block, I tried rewriting (dd) the ~438 bytes that were obviously clobbered to
> no
> avail.
>
> Then, I stumbled upon the /boot/boot.* files and upon closer examination
> decided
> that one of them was the image of what my M$ drive needed.  dd'ed it into hda1
> and voila!  I could access the partition again...
>
> Now, these boot.* files are inconsistent.  Depending on the distro, if memory
> serves, some of these are lilo; but other than being misnamed (you have to look
> inside the files), some of these are copies of what you usually see on W9x, NT,
> OS/2, etc.  Not all distros have all files.
>
> If someone has the knowledge of all these boot files, it might be helpful to
> make use of these (properly named with correct content) to create a recovery
> step for those poor newbie-souls-to-come who are sure to screw this up.  Being
> able to restore a clobbered other-OS boot block would get Linux some kudos in
> the other camps...
>
> Just a thought,
> Pierre

Posted to TriangleLUG (Raleigh, NC) list Jun 29th: