Finally got around to installing Beta3 on my Laptop a couple of notes:

I have a few issues with KDE:

a)  The control center won't start up from the icon on the task bar.  I
can invoke it by hand from a terminal window but it will SEGV
eventually.

b)  I cant invoke the kde desktop control from the desktop either....

Other than that the install went really well.  I haven't tried it on my
main system to see if there is still the problem with matrox G400 cards
with < 32M...

A note for laptop users...

A sane thing to do before doing an install is to get all relavant notes
for your laptop from the linux on laptops site:

http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/kharker/linux-laptop/

Even though mandrake does a good job of setting up the hardware, the X
configuration on laptops seems to be dicey at best.   You probably want
to default to not having X startup on boot if you are not sure of your
configuration.  Of course your mileage will vary..

(Perhaps there could be a 'default' laptop configuration using the VGA
driver even if it detects a 'supported' chip set?)

-randy