> John Richard Smith wrote:
> When it come to new programme(s) for future release ,kindly consider:-

> b) Do something to get a CD writer operational.What about writing Unix drivers
> or perhaps something along the lines of ghosytscripts for cd writers

Unix drivers? Have you seen how many utterly different Windows drivers there
are? Linux already does this with (I think) four basoic drivers only, plus
tweaks, for SCSI, ATAPI, ParPort and one other kind of writer (maybe USB?).

One thing which _would_ help in this area is to load CD support as a module
rather than building it in, that way the funny ATAPI CDE burners (TraxData etc)
can be got working under Mandrake without a kernel recompile. As things stand,
the CD driver loads on bootup and puts the funny burners into IDE mode, from
which the ide-scsi driver has no way of recovering pretend-SCSI mode.

--
If you still want to do this in light of the above disadvantages, the
method is left as an exercise to the reader.  It'll void your Apache