I've also started getting this. When I do multiple upgrades I can have
almost a whole screen full of this same message.
This is not a question of waiting and re-trying, there is definitely
something wrong. This only started happening in the last two days ....

                    Guillaume Rousse

                    <Guillaume.Rousse@univ-r        To:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]

                    eunion.fr>                      cc:

                    Sent by:                        Subject:     Re: [Cooker] RPM
spewing "cannot get shared lock on
                    [EMAIL PROTECTED]        database"

                    10/04/2000 09:03 AM

                    Please respond to cooker

Also sprach Steven Hatfield :

> Hi all,
> I'm having a problem trying to update my Cooker box with the newest RPMS.
> I've mirrored the cooker RPMS directory, and am doing "rpm -Fvh *.rpm"
and
> it's working - with the exception of sending the message "cannot get
shared
> lock on database" while displaying the "#"s. To verify, I'm running this
as
> root on a box that seems to be working just fine...
This happens when two rpm process try to access simultaneously the rpm
database. In fact, even if they are sequential, unlocking the base can
takes sufficient time for the second access to be rejected. Just wait a
bit and re-try.
--
Guillaume Rousse

Murphy's law : If anything can go wrong, it will.
O'Tool's commentary : Murphy was an optimist.