On Fri, 06 Oct 2000, Francois Pons wrote:
> Ed Wilts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > The XFree on the beta 3 CD contains a bug in configuring the SiS 6326
> > card. It's set for no_accel, when in fact acceleration has been supported
> > since XFree 4.0 first came out.  I reported this a long time ago, but it
> > apparently did not get fixed.  When I corrupted my system earlier this
> > week and was forced to re-install, I used the beta 3 CD to start with,
> > and then upgraded to the latest cooker packages from there.
> >
> > The fix is simple - simply comment out the no_accel line, but until
> > that's done, performance is horrible.
>
> Do you have a lot of other line around this one already commented out ?

No.  The ONLY change I made was to comment out the no_accel line.  I left the
sw_cursor line in (which seems to be required for my particular card).  I've
got a Diamond Speedstar A50.

> Can you send me your output of lspcidrake ?

[root@linux1 init.d]# lspcidrake
 VIA Technologies|VT82C597 [Apollo VP3] (unknown ignore)
 VIA Technologies|VT82C598 [Apollo MVP3 AGP] (unknown ignore)
 VIA Technologies|VT82C586/A/B PCI-to-ISA [Apollo VP] (unknown ignore)
 VIA Technologies|VT82C586 IDE [Apollo] (STORAGE_IDE ignore)
 VIA Technologies|VT82C586B ACPI (unknown ignore)
 Realtek|RTL-8029(AS) (NETWORK_ETHERNET ne2k-pci)
 Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS]|86C326 (DISPLAY_VGA Card:SiS 6326)
SubVendor=0x1092 SubDevice=0x0a50

If you read /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/doc/README.SiS, you'll see that hardware
acceleration is supported.

Without acceleration turned on, my card is painful to use.  Dragging a window
is slugglish and jerky.

Cheers,
        .../Ed
--