At 22:38 28-10-00 -0500, you wrote:
>When I run xcdroast I get the error message:
>
>[drfickle@potato lib]$ xcdroast &
>[1] 7571
>[drfickle@potato lib]$
>** WARNING **: Invalid cdrecord version  found. Expecting version 1.9
>
>I know that xcdroast used to come with it's own version of cdrecord as
>part of the package. But when I 'rpm -ql xcdroast | grep cdrecord' I get
>no output and if I look in /usr/lib/xcdroast-0.98/bin there is not
>cdrecord binary. So I guess its broke. Please fix :)

There is nothing wrong with xcdroast. It's totaly ok in Mandrake 7.2. Let's
look a bit further at the problem. Xcdroast needs cdrecord which when we
check is installed in /usr/bin. The permissions on cdrecord look like this:

         -rwsr-s---   1   root   cdwriter   166780   Oct 2  22:57  cdrecord*

What do we learn from this. Only root or a member of the cdwriter group is
allowed to use cdrecord. So the fix is simple. Make everyone who needs to
use cdrecord a member of the cdwriter group.

Richard Schiffelers