On Thu, 2 Nov 2000, Jason Straight wrote:

> On Thursday 02 November 2000 08:12, you wrote:
> > James Sutherland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> >

> > [...]
> >
> > > confusion. Your implication that neither of them is the real 7.2 suggests
> > > you're working for SuSE :-)
> >
> > Sorry, I give up.
>
> Right, accusing and name-calling isn't going to help anyone here, just piss
> everyone off. The point has been made already. Mandrake knows the confusion
> that having 2 versions released under the same version can cause and will
> hopefully find a way to educate consumers before it happens again.

That's the wrong approach. It isn't the consumer who needs educating, it's
whoever puts the version numbers on boxes.

> This could have all been solved by some note or version difference
> visible on the package at the stores. It may be a problem of having
> 7.20 at the store while 7.21 is on download but it would be a lot
> easier to just put "Can be updated, online, to newest versions with
> included Mandrake Update utility!" than dealing with all the
> confusion.

Which is precisely what I and others suggested - only to be vetoed with
"but the marketdrones wouldn't like it". The argument amounted to "Walmart
want to have a box with the latest version number on, even if the contents
aren't what the label says."

James.