[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ivan Kerekes) writes:

> On cooker fresh install 2 weeks ago the installer set up my cable modem
> automatically with dhcpcd-1.3.19pl1-2. upon startup, I got error message:
> Nov  2 20:23:04 cs5884-a ifup: Determining IP information for eth0 via
> dhcpcd...
> Nov  2 20:23:04 cs5884-a dhcpcd[302]: terminating on signal 4
> Nov  2 20:23:04 cs5884-a ifup:  failed.
> Nov  2 20:23:04 cs5884-a network: Bringing up interface eth0:  failed
> I can bypass the problem with downgrading dhcpcd to dhcpcd-1.3.19pl1-1
> (from LM7.2 final) but I daily rsync-ing cooker and do rpm -Fvh *, and that
> is keeps refreshing dhcpcd. I have seen other people reporting problem with
> dhcpcd as well, was wondering if anybody knows, whats the pup...?
> Thanks
> Ivan Kerekes

Hi there,

first, make sure that you have only one dhcp client installed:
in the /sbin/ifup the priority is the following
:dhcpcd,pump,dhcpxd,dhclient(dhcp-client)

the client do not seem to react in the same way. One of the best is
dhcpcd, IMHO, but it won't work on a system based on gcc < 2.96

i'll have to check in detail all the options of that initscript

could you try to reinstall that package and do an ifup eth0, for example
after setting /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 (for your eth0
interface) to:
DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
ONBOOT=yes

and check if manually works ?

you could also do a /etc/init.d/network stop (and then start)

i tested dhcpcd here and worked but i enountered some uninstallation prb
on an gcc 2.95 system where I installed the latest version of dhcpcd
(compiled with gcc 2.96)

cheers,
--
Florin                          http://www.linux-mandrake.com