Hello,

Maybe just stating the obvious but this worked for me on:
   - a toshiba portege laptop
   - a desktop SMP config
both running Mdk7.1

Basically I just followed the instructions at:
   http://www.kde.org/announcements/announce-2.0.html

They also explain how to setup kde2 in kdm login manager.

Some compilation options & review at:
   http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/reviews/2531/1/

Chose to install qt-2.2.1 in /usr/lib/qt2 and Kde2 in /opt/kde2

Only pbm I encountered was during the compilation of kdelibs which
could
not find /usr/lib/libasound.so
I found libasound.so.1 in one of the alsa package which was a link
libasound.so.1.x.x so I just created a simlink:
   ln -s /usr/lib/libasound.so.1.x.x /usr/lib/libasound.so
and that was it.

If the compilation fails because a library is missing or something
similar
there is a very good way to find which package is missing:
   - mount you Mdk 7.1 CD#1 (eg. /mnt/cdrom)
   - rpm -qpli /mnt/cdrom/Mandrake/RPMS/*.rpm > mdk71_pkgcd1
   (creates list of all files in all package on CD#1 in
mdk71_pkgcd1)

   - mount you Mdk 7.1 CD#2
   - rpm -qpli /mnt/cdrom/Mandrake/RPMS2/*.rpm > mdk71_pkgcd2
   (creates list of all files in all package on CD#2 in
mdk71_pkgcd2)

you will get the list of all files in all packages in Mdk7.1 distro
then just
hunt for the one missing.

Note:
  - do not forget to setup QTDIR and KDEDIR...
  - do not forget "make install"...
  - compile qt-2.2.1 then kdesupport then kdelibs then the rest in
any order.

Warning:
  - this does take care of the Mandrake-menus. I just wanted to see
what KDE2
    looked like ;-) so far I am pretty impressed although some
applications
    crashed a few times. Konqueror is superb!

Cheers,
Fred