Hi ;->>>
I see that there are a lot of ati changes in the new e version of xfree from
the 4.0.1 version chiped with LM7.2 :

867. Change Rage 128 DRM driver name to what the r128 kernel module
      expects (Kevin Martin).
866. Fix newly merged "ati" driver probe to allow "r128" and "radeon"
      driver names in the XF86Config file for backwards compatibility
      (Kevin Martin).

--->834. Fix Rage128/Radeon drivers to free correct scratch buffer on LeaveVT
      (Alan Hourihane).
 832. Split ATI driver into two modules in preparation for merging in the
      r128 and radeon drivers (Marc La France).
--> 761. Minor fix for the ATI driver's printing of MMIO registers
      (Marc La France).
753. Add Xv support to the r128 driver (Stuart Anderson/Vladmir Dergacheb)
748. Fix stupid clock probe bug in ATI driver (Marc La France).
747. Reorganise ATI driver in preparation for futuure changes
      (Marc La France).
740. Make ATI driver's detection of Rage 128's more precise (Marc La France).
739. Reinstate BIOS checksum verification but make it non-fatal
      (Marc La France).
731. Changed handling of DDC read in r128 driver. Driver does not
      fail any more if vbe DDC reads don't succeed (Egbert Eich).

so XFree86-server-4.0.1e-1mdk.i586.rpm from
ftp://devel.mandrakesoft.com/pub/people/flepied/XFree86-test
will possibly more stable for me that the curent one but I prefere WAIT for
the moment the 4.0.2 final release ;-)

hopes that it will be more stable and will takeless ressources .
XFree become with the time too ressources taker . hopes that it will
change.....