On Sat, 18 Nov 2000, Alexander Skwar wrote:
> So sprach xaos am Sat, Nov 18, 2000 at 02:36:13PM -0500:
> > On Saturday 18 November 2000 07:56, some strange person did etch this in
> > > Sorry, but why do Drive Image and Ghost need support for a particular fs?
> > because they're dos-based programs.
>
> Well, yeah, but still: What do they need support for?  If they can read the
> disk, *DISK* (I'm not talking about the *FS* here) why should they need
> support for a fs?  As long as they can read the disk, they can do all they
> need, even compression.

No; they do not do a simple partition copy. Instead, they copy the FILES in the
partition. They also make appropriate SID changes for NTFS, and defragment
(IIRC).

That's how you can copy a 2Gb NTFS partition from one machine into a 5Gb
partition on another directly. A simple byte-by-byte copy wouldn't do that.

James.