On Sunday 19 November 2000 21:16, Peter Ruskin wrote:
> On Sunday 19 November 2000 20:44, Peter Ruskin wrote:
> > On Friday 17 November 2000 23:38, Peter Ruskin wrote:
> > <-------->
> >
> > > The default kernel has no MS-DOS support, so I started by rebuilding
> > > the kernel.  The locale warning appeared again but the kernel built OK
> > > (with MS-DOS support) - except it didn't, or wasn't - after running
> > > lilo and rebooting, still no MS-DOS support in this kernel.  How can
> > > this be?
> >
> > That was cooker, with kernel-2.2.17-25mdk.
> >
> > Now I find that the standard 7.2 kernel-2.2.17-21mdk has a serious
> > problem. When I try to mount my SCSI CD-ROMs I get the message "Could not
> > mount device.  The reported error was: mount: the kernel does not
> > recognize /dev/cdrom as a block device (maybe `insmod driver'?)"
> >
> > This is the same whether I use the stock kernel or build my own; and
> > whether I'm running LM 7.2 or 7.2.  It looks like I'll have to move down
>
>                                        ^^^^
>
> > 2.2.17-0.24mdk - I wonder whether that will work on cooker?
>
> Ooops - that should be 7.1

Just installed 2.2.17-27mdk from cooker on 7.2.  This seems to solve the
above problems.  My SCSI adapter is Adaptec 2940UA.  I suggest you update 7.2
kernel urgently.
        Peter Ruskin,  Wrexham, UK  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                    Preferred desktop environment KDE 1.1.2
                  Linux 2.2.17-27mdk, Uptime 0 hours 7 minutes