Thanks to one kind man here, I received LM 7.2 and effected setup on separate
partition.
I decided to setup it with national support (ru),  and was able finally to
test what some people were speaking about - ugly fonts (KDE2) of almost
unbelievable size and non-usable KDE2.
I uploaded several small screen snapshots:
http://kde2.newmail.ru/BIGFONT1.PNG
http://kde2.newmail.ru/BIGFONT2.PNG
http://kde2.newmail.ru/BIGFONT3.PNG

And, K menu (on left side) was not opening. When I press on it, it was asking
for password, and after entering password returning back to desktop, without
menu opened.
It was really some kind of surprise for me, as I had no problems with KDE2
from the middle of September. (binary RPMs from Cooker, and until now was
running KDE 2.0 release compiled from tar.gz sources)
Hopefuly, it's possible to do Right Mouse Button click on panel, and add
Konsole to it (for some reason, there were console/konqueeor /kwrite buttons
on panel)
Hopefuly, it's possible to do Right Mouse Button click on panel, and add
Konsole to it (for some reason, there were console/konqueeor /kwrite buttons
on panel). By the way, it was even not possible to logout through this K menu
..., only with RMB on desktop...

Here is the problem with ugly fonts( K menu bug is related to it)
KDE2 was starting using LEDfixed (ledfixed) font for ALL kind of settings -
menu, dialogs, etc. When I tried to change font settings in KControl, it was
returning back to initial (ledfixed)
On top of it, Konqueror was using some incredible font substitution and not
displaying Russian at all.
Besides, Login Manager was showing only  ????  ???? instead of text, in all
fields. Hopefuly I was using KDE2 and KDM for a while, so I pressed on
lowest option on right-side box, and got console in front of me.

So, I applied standard procedure which I described to several people having
problems with fonts:
1) copy c:/windows/fonts  *.ttf to  /usr/lib/X11/fonts/WinFonts
2) cd /usr/lib/X11/fonts/WinFonts
 run ttmkfdir -o fonts.dir
3) comment out all unnecessary entries which cause fonts to looks ugly, or
select wrong encoding;
3b) add WinFonts entry to XFS server catalog
# where to look for fonts
# Some of these are commented out, i.e. the TrueType and Type1
#
catalogue = /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/WinFonts,
        /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc:unscaled
#       /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi:unscaled,
#       /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi:unscaled,
#       /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1,
#       /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo,
#       /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/mdk,
#       /usr/share/fonts/default/Type1,
#       /usr/share/fonts/ISO8859-2/75dpi:unscaled,
#       /usr/share/fonts/ISO8859-2/75dpi:unscaled,
#       /usr/share/fonts/ttf/western
VERY ANNOYING XFree86 bug: you can't start it withou "fixed" ont
So I had to leave /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc:unscaled section, which just
consumes memory on my X and space on HDD.

4) reboot, start KDE2
select all fonts to Arial/Courirer/Times New Roman, instead of ledfixed or
any other X-based font.
5) System -> Login Manager
change "fixed" iso-8859-1 font to Arial/KOI8-R
5b) delete ???? in Welcome to localhost! message and replace it with English,
as Russian keyboard is not working.

So, finaly it was fixed, but took several hours to tune it.
/the reason for such strange behavior of KDE2 is missing *right* fonts for
Cyrillic, with necessary encodings; second - wrong font names in default KDE2
setup; third - probably, so bug in KDE2 algorithm for font selection, but you
always can overwrite it with axact font name/

And, I already had experience of fixing this. I afraid that newcomers to
Linux or people who don't know what the FontServer and TrueType encoding is,
will be mixed in such situation.
What's really bad that people can start thinking about KDE2 as _bad program_,
because of this. Such attitude is really bad, and problem should be fixed,
IMHO.
May I suggest that these issues will be fixed for LM 7.2?
You will probably not get negative input about such situation in US, but in
Europe (and Asia) people can experience such problems.

6) finally, about keyboard.
I had a hope that with LM 7.2 which is much newer then LM 7.0 I had, this
problem is not fixed.
Unfortunately, not. Russian Keyboard is not working. (well, I even installed
German/DE option to see if it is working at all. And, I was able to get
German symbols, but no Russian)
Are there any chance to get it finaly working?
I can read mails in KMail in Russian, use Konqueorr for browsing, but can't
write in Russian for Linux, so had to reboot every time to get Win98.

Copy/paste with Russian text in KWord/Koffice dosn't work, I get same ?????
instead of letters, but it is Koffice bug, I reported it. But missing
national keyboard is a big disappointment; I can leave without DRI on my Rage
Mobile, but this keyboard switching is much more easier, isn't it?
--

Vadim Plessky
http://kde2.newmail.ru  (English)