At 22 November, 2000 Antony Suter wrote:
V> Mattias Eriksson wrote:
> >
> > I understande that Mandrakesoft cant be responsible for Helix packages that's
> > not working correctly. But I think it's important that Mandrakesoft are
> > working with other important distributors like HelixCode in this case. To
> > make sure that the Mandrake user are able to choose and still have a working
>
> Not necessarily. If Helixcode want to overlay a set of their own
> packages replacing Mandrake ones, then they are responsibly for
> supporting them.

Yes, but that was not my point. I just want to see better communications
between Mandrakesoft and other distributors. And I dont see the reason not
to work togeather and share information.

> On the other hand, Mandrake Cooker has the latest packages from
> Helixcode incorporated with very little delay - and the packages are
> fixed to work well with Mandrake Linux. Why not use them?

I want at least a partial stable system, since cooker went to gcc 2.96 I can't
run just a part of cooker and expect things to be stable since the binary
compability with older gcc is not ok.

That's why I dont use cooker, and people at Mandrakesoft told me something
like 'Cooker is not a place to pick upp apps'.

> If Helixcode really want to support Mandrake users then there is nothing
> stopping them from getting the fixes from Mandrakes packages. Thats the
> beauty of open source software after all.

Ok, it not a big deal to 'steal' the solutions from Mandrakesoft. But I still
dont see why we shouldn't work with distributors like this and 'give' them
the solution instead. It's hard to keep up with all the changes in how
things are supposed to work on a distro like Mandrake, and since they have
incorporated it into Mandrake already it shouldn't be too hard. And as
Mandrake claims to be a freedom of choise I think it would be natural to
work closer to others.

I hope that this will come out of the joining of the KDE league and
GNOME foundation. This is a great step in the right direction but I still
think that it's alot to be done.

//Snaggen, likes a more open attitude

Mattias Eriksson             E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Tvistevägen 26                       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
907 36  UMEA                 Tel:    090-198800
SWEDEN                               070-5636769

'I don't fight for a cause   Hemsida: http://www.acc.umu.se/~snaggen
I fight for the fight'       PGP: http://www.acc.umu.se/~snaggen/snaggen.asc