I've specified KDEDIR as mentioned below, KDEDIR=/usr/lib/kde1-compat
but not using QTDIR set as /usr/lib/qt because this is recognized by
configure. I still get the same error

error: your system is not able to compile a small KDE application

Configure even recognizes the lib and include directories if I use

./configure --with-kde-dir=/usr/lib/kde1-compat

I'll try what Guillaume has suggested to see if that solves the problem.
By the way, I'm trying to compile Kdevelop 1.3 from cvs on Mandrake 7.2.

Mark