Till Kamppeter wrote:

> Define a class containing the two queues (remote CUPS, SMB). Define this
> class as your default printer. A print job sent to a class is treated by
> the first printer responding. And because in your case there is only one
> printer queue which can respond, the correct queue is chosen
> automatically. The class you define with kups or the web interface, you
> make it the default with XPP ("Options", "This printer as default").

Thanks for understanding the problem.  I will try what you say.

However, things are not quite that simple, because the printer on the
CUPS server as viewed from the non-printer machine just disappears
after a server OS change/reboot, and the server goes unreachable (the
network is all OK).  This is a crippling bug that I keep striking all
the time and I know of no fix or way around other than to reinstall
all the 8 RPMs.   Obviously not acceptable.

It limits me to using Windows and SMB on the server, since the SMB
printer persists across rebooting of either machine.  The CUPS lp
printer does NOT persist.  Have you found this too?

--
Regards,

Ron. [AU]