I have a question that may or not be relevant...

What is the size of the RPM database when this happens?

The reason I ask is that I have only seen this when parts of the RPM
database get very large.

Just a thought...

On Mon, 4 Dec 2000, Jean Meloche wrote:

> On Monday 04 December 2000 19:44, paul wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I've been quietly waiting for this problem to disappear, but it persists
> > so I write to you all. I've been trying to use MandrakeUpdate to
> > download and install the latest RPMS of some selected software, but the
> > program just dies when downloading the list. It starts to build the
> > list, but then dies. I'm wondering if it's just one rougue RPM with bad
> > info that's causing it. Any way I can find out? Anyone else having this
> > problem? I have MandrakeUpdate-7.2-18mdk.
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> > Paul Dorman.
>
> Yes, I have the exact same problem in addition to /bin/rpm dumping core
> on randomly selected packages. I sent a description to the list earlier
> but it hasn't shown up yet.
>
> Here is the earlier message. I'm not attaching the strace again, but it's
> available upon request.
>
> Help!!! I think I messed something up, but I can't figure
> out what's wrong. Any suggestions?
>
> [root@rocks RPMS]# rpm --rebuilddb
> [root@rocks RPMS]# ls zlib-*
> zlib-1.1.3-11mdk.i586.rpm  zlib-devel-1.1.3-11mdk.i586.rpm
> [root@rocks RPMS]# rpm -Uvh zlib*
> Segmentation fault (core dumped)
> [root@rocks RPMS]# rpm -q rpm
> rpm-4.0-10mdk
> [root@rocks RPMS]# strace rpm -Uvh zlib* &>/tmp/aaa
>
> The strace is attached in gzip format
>
> The same happens with many other packages, but not all.
>
> Looks like rpm dies on a read!?!?
>
> Thanks!
>

> --
> Jean Meloche
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> e-gold # 133947

[EMAIL PROTECTED] | Note to AOL users: for a quick shortcut to reply
Alan Olsen            | to my mail, just hit the ctrl, alt and del keys.
    "In the future, everything will have its 15 minutes of blame."